Saturday, July 4, 2015

Back in Whitehorse

Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada that is. Alaska is but a memory now. Here's a tip for you travelers to Alaska. Don't get your oil changed in Whitehorse. I don't know if it's because I'm from out of town or what, but the price seemed a little steep at $159.62.

We're celebrating the Fourth of July in the parking lot of Wal Mart with 37 other travelers from the states. If you didn't see the sign on the building you would think this is an RV campsite. Well,one night here and we're on the road again; this time we're driving the Stewart/Cassiar Highway instead of the Alaska highway. It's supposed to be more scenic. Larry told us, while we were having fresh salmon for dinner, that it was 500 miles of frost heaves with constant slowing to a crawl to cross over them without launching the trailer in the air. Then as soon as you get up to speed, you have to slow down again for the next one.

Doesn't that sound like fun? I couldn't talk Sue out of it, so we're going the scenic way.

Speaking of scenic, we took a parting shot of the Fireweed and an unknown mountain peak as we were leaving Valdez. What a gorgeous day that was. Lucky for us we had so many.


BTW- when I mentioned that Sue wouldn't move far away from Levi in my last blog, I really meant Levi's family. That would include his parents, uncle, great aunts and uncles. third cousins twice removed, and everything in between.

While traveling in Canada, if you have Verizon for your service carrier, you have to get a special plan to get service. I opted for the plan with unlimited text (which is free), phone calls at 99 cents per minute, and data at $1/10mb. Good thing they don't have very good service up here or I'd be blogging even more than I am. I know I've spoiled some of my followers with regular posts, but I'll be cutting back until we get closer to the border. So for all you JSL's out there, be patient. I will return.

I wonder if Wal Mart is going to have fireworks for us tonight?

ds

1 comment:

  1. Sue is quite the adventurer, huh? Nice shot near Valdez!

    ReplyDelete