Friday, September 2, 2016

Where does the Rain come from?

I wrote this yesterday, on Thursday-

We thought we’d do something different and go kayaking today, so I talked to the rental guy- boy was he surly. I wanted to really go for it and asked for a half day rental but he insisted I wouldn’t be out that long. He was certain I would be back in an hour, so we rented it by the hour instead.

Well, he’s giving us his “talk” prior to departure and one of his rules was, you have to go the left, but you couldn’t go past the “point”. We went to the “point” and back, which was really our only option. Took our time about it too. Guess what? We were back in an hour.  Well, it was short, but very calming and fun.



It rained again last night; I think that’s three nights in a row. It’s never much, nowhere near enough to scrub the air clean. Big fat drops though- splat splat splat on the trailer roof. It usually wakes me up with the noise of such big drops.

So I’m lying in bed and I start wondering; when all the raindrops are hanging around in the cloud, how do they decide who’s gonna let go? Do they all sit around the table playing poker and whoever loses that hand has to jump? Or maybe they’re sitting around the dinner table and grandpa gets up and announces it’s his time to go. “Well, I’ve had a good run, but I must be leaving now.” I can hear little Jimmy begging with him, “Please, don’t go!” “Now Jimmy, I’m old and fat and really must rain down tonight. Someone has to feed the thirsty pine trees you know. I’ll be evaporating out from the needles and back here before you know it.”

I may never know.

We went to the Mcdonald Lake Lodge yesterday for lunch. What a beautiful building! The Huckleberry pie was delicious.




This was posted in one of the local flyers-
If you’re being chased by a bear, what should you do?       Trip your friend!

Before the lunch at the lodge, we went for a nice hike to Fish Lake. It was 5.5 miles round trip, 1000’ of elevation gain. All the climbing was in the first 45 minutes and we were breathing pretty heavily when we finally got to some level ground. On the way back out we passed several groups going up that same climb we were now going down and they were all asking "How much further"!?

Now it's Friday, the 2nd. 

It rained good last night! I can't put our canopy out because a tree is in the way, so everything got pretty wet. Supposedly, it will be raining throughout the weekend. This should really clear the air, with an added bonus of hopefully putting out some fires.

I hope to be posting some much clearer pictures soon. It looks like we'll be in the park another week, although some of that time will be spent in the Canadian side, called Waterton.

More later-

ds






2 comments:

  1. I loved the raindrop story. :) Do you make up tales for little Levi during visits?
    Sounds like a wonderful trip! Thanks for bringing us along.
    I can't imagine anyone being surly with you or Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Mr. Surly was seriously burned out from the summer of fun! Little Levi hasn't gotten any stories yet, but he's due. I'm glad you are enjoying our trip. I know you have had many yourself and can appreciate our joy.

    ReplyDelete