Monday, September 5, 2016

Waterton Lakes National Park, Waterton, Canada Labour Day (misspelled in honor of Canada)

We left West Glacier and headed north today. It was quite a change in scenery on the way here. We drove through Browning Mt., which is in the Blackfeet Indian Nation, to get here. While in that neck of the woods, there were no woods! It was all grassland and rolling hills.



Remember when we were kids and there was no speed limit in Montana? Well, they've changed. Fortunately they still have a high limit, but you have to wonder about the wisdom of that sometimes. Here we are, driving on a two lane state highway, with signs indicating free range cattle, which we noticed when we saw herds of cows ON THE HIGHWAY. This is the area they consider safe to drive 70 mph! Have you ever driven into a cow at 70 mph? I hope not. I've been driving a much more sane 62. I figure that gives me another 7 or 8 feet of stopping distance. JSL would be very proud of me.

We did see a herd of bison today; I'm not kidding when I say there were at least 50 of them. Unfortunately, I was driving at my sane speed and didn't get a pic to share.

Waterton is a beautiful area surrounded by majestic mountains and shored by the Waterton Lake.



The weather is not perfect, but we can't complain seeing as how we are in paradise. We are planning to hike to Crypt Lake tomorrow. National Geographic determined it to be one of the top ten most thrilling hikes in the world. How could we miss this?

This is how-




Don't panic Kristen, we'll find something to do.




I'll let you know.

ds



2 comments: