Thursday, September 19, 2019

Black Elk Peak

We have internet access at our campsite! Yippee!!

So this is yesterday's post.

Black Elk Peak is the most popular hike in Custer State Park, which is odd, because it's longer than most people like to go, and it's listed in the guide as strenuous. We can attest to the strenuous description. When we were hiking the JMT we frequently came across very high steps which are normally referred to as Sierra Steps. 

Here's an example of what Sue dubbed Black Hills Steps. This step is literally higher than the bottom of her skort.



The hike was difficult, with over 1300 ft of elevation gain and about 8 miles. We haven't been hiking much on this trip because my foot is still swollen and very sore. I don't know how it happened, but I started limping about two weeks before we left home. This hike seemed worth it though. There is a little building at the top that's pretty cool. It was a fire lookout tower.


From this peak we could see four states- S. Dakota, Nebraska, Montana, and Wyoming. We were lucky because the day before the wind blew like crazy and it rained to boot, so the air was really clear. Plus, it's the highest peak in Black Hills at 7242 ft. Unfortunately, I'm not the photo bug Brian is and I don't have a camera except the one in my phone. As much as I would like to show you the view, it doesn't look like much with that wide angle lens I have.



This is the conclusion of the Mt. Rushmore part of the trip. Next stop will be further east at The Badlands!

2 comments:

  1. Actually, the photo is pretty good. There is a joke that “there is a pretty girl behind every tree in South Dakota”. I think that is because there aren’t many trees there - but your photo proves otherwise. Put Sue behind one of the trees, and Snopes.com will be all over that story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue certainly does look lovely, especially in her skort. I used to have one of those. I’m sure she has the quad power to climb the Black Hill steps. Take it easy on your foot Dave. I haven’t seen any pictures of you relaxing in a lounge chair.

    ReplyDelete