Friday, September 20, 2019

The Badlands Experience

We pulled a Steve today and took about a thousand pictures, so grab a six-pack, sit back and relax, and get ready for a 3 hour slideshow.

You can thank me later.

The day begins-



This entire area was once a vast plain. Due to erosion it has started to reveal it's secrets, with some areas just starting to erode. Not sure what kind of grasses these are. Mailee is the botanist; she might know.


Other areas have been eroding for 70 million years.



I remember being here once as a tot; Dad said I was 6 or so. I don't remember much, but with this scenery I must have been impressed.



We saw a lot of wildlife today, but most of it was too far away for decent pics. There were a lot of Prairie Dogs in one area, and they were not shy.


Sue saw a very rare Jackalope and was able to wrassle it to the ground, hop on, and go for the ride of her life! What an ordeal!! Lucky I had my camera out to prove to JSL they really do exist.



This is in the town of Wall, S. Dakota, which you couldn't miss as they have literally hundreds and hundreds of road signs (billboards) for Wall Drug Store as far away as Wyoming. We've been seeing them for the last week of traveling.


Their coffee costs a nickle per cup. But we're here for the Badlands.


There's a storm a-brewing, so we're going to hunker down for the night and head out to Deadwood in the morning.


3 comments:

  1. Did you get the iconic bumper sticker: "where the heck is Wall Drugs?" What a place !

    ReplyDelete
  2. No we didn't. I refuse to advertise for a place which shuts down the espresso bar during working hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen many jackalopes but never one as big as the one Sue is riding. Yippie Aye Oh!

    ReplyDelete