Friday, May 22, 2015

BEAR!

Too bad we didn't get a picture. We're traveling along the highway and I see a black something on the side of the road. I called out to Sue and she looked over just as we passed. We realized it was a small black bear, but traveling at 100 kph (that's 62 mph to you Americans), and rolling with 14,000 lbs I don't have a lot of options when it comes to fast stops. You'll have to take our word for it; we saw our first bear today. It was smaller than I expected.

Rolling 7 tons down the road doesn't lend itself to the best gas mileage either. On the open road, no wind, level ground, I can get 12.5 mpg tops. Today was a lot of hills, long rollers of 4 - 6%. I averaged 9 mpg today.To add insult to injury, we paid our highest price yet today filling up. It was an outrageous $5.36/gl. We've been paying around $4.50 since we hit British Columbia; I hope the price doesn't get higher as we get further from the border. On the plus side, the price of wine is the same as at home!  WOOHOO!!

We drove by an immense cloud of smoke today. Come to find out there is a severe drought in the area and somehow a fire started. It must be huge. It's not surprising when you see the forests in this region. Some of them are 95% standing dead wood. Supposedly it's not getting cold enough in the winter anymore to kill the Pine Bark Beetle, so they are devastating the trees.

We're in Ft. Nelson tonight, and tomorrow is a short drive to Stone Mtn. Provincial park. We'll be hanging around there and getting some real hiking in, finally. Supposed to be great fishing too if the ice has broken yet.

BTW- for you nit picky double posters, I believe it's called the Alaska Highway because it LEADS to Alaska. Geez!

ds

7 comments:

  1. I can't figure out why it double posts. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

    Congratulations on sighting your first "bear" if that's what it was. Unfortunately, the regs require a clear photo for full credit. We are also able to determine if it was a bear from teeth imprints on soft body tissue, should that option present itself. Just letting you know your options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I double posted once by being impatient. I clicked publish and nothing happened so I clicked again. Apparently it worked the first time and I didn't wait long enough. At least you're able to post, many can't.

      Delete
  2. Been catching up on your adventurous trip. Beautiful pics, love the beaver hat, what happen to a Davy Crockett, bear hat? Keep posting, like I am there with you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw a racoon hat at the gift shop yesterday, but I didn't want to walk around with his little face on my head. Still looking.

      Delete
    2. That makes me very happy Dave. :)

      Delete
  3. Hope all is well. We haven't heard anything from you in a few days. It is Memorial day and you haven posted since friday...the bear siting. Maybe you have met up with its mother or a moose! Another sunny day in paradise here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In case you're looking for a method of travel that gets better MPGs, let me know. It may also assist with your bear sightings, and increase your chances of getting a JSL approved verification.

    ReplyDelete