Friday, June 5, 2015

ATTACK!

You never think it's going to happen to you. It's always someone else who made a dumb mistake. We know the rules and obey them all: Make noise on the trail so you don't startle a wild animal, hike with your head up and look around you at all times, carry your bear spray for worst case scenarios. And then all hell breaks loose.

Here's the scene. We hiked 2.5 miles to the top of a peak to get a great view, which we surely did. Those triangular looking clouds on the horizon are actually Denali.





The wind was blowing 30-40 mph up at the top, so we were hiding behind a natural wind barrier of some big rocks, eating lunch. Granted, we couldn't hear anything except the howling wind. Susie was joking how it'd be funny if a grizzly poked it's head over the rocks and looked at us.





 Out of nowhere it comes running at us! He actually started chewing on my boot! And the claws on this thing! OMG!! Our first, and hopefully last, close encounter with the wildlife. I knew JSL wouldn't be a believer without proof, so I whipped out my camera and got a quick shot. My hands were shaking so much I'm surprised it's in focus.




We quickly hightailed it down the trail before he brought over his buddies and overpowered us. What a day!!

ds

13 comments:

  1. I've been reading about the dangerous cow moose that has been attacking people in Denali. Stay safe.
    http://www.adn.com/article/20150605/denali-national-park-warns-cow-moose-has-charged-visitors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's our loose moose. We have yet to see the calves however.

      Delete
  2. Excellent Attack story, Dave! I was on the edge of my seat as were the several people to whom I subsequently read the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time it was so surreal. Looking back on it, we feel very lucky to have escaped unscathed.

      Delete
    2. What a great story! Those claws look dangerous, did you hit him with your bear spray?

      Delete
  3. I was fumbling for it, but I was too slow. He lost interest and ran off, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lucky you could out run that big ferrous one, The pic of the mountain is great, clouds and all the will life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was taking another look at the beautiful mountains and drinking Louie D's fab wine.
    Then occurred to, I think Sue is beginning to like Alaska, she looked like an Eskimo in that pic, what happened to the California gal, t shirt and jeans?
    Have a great evening, and night (if it gets dark there).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never gets dark, even at "night". Fortunately, we use the clock to determine when to open the wine. It's easy to see why Eskimos wear so much clothing, the wind is nasty cold, even on a relatively warm day.

      Delete
  6. This was a great story especially when I listened to John L. read it while I was making dinner. Well done, Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he showed you the horrible attack picture. I'm not sure I'll ever sleep the same again.

      Delete
  7. Lots of laughs here. Great story,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story, Dave! Everyone had already read the story before me, and they just said, "Have you read Attack yet? You gotta read it." No one would tell... so with Janet's carefully timed scrolling, she got the maximum laugh out of your post!

    ReplyDelete