Sunday, June 28, 2015

Score!!





Sue finally got the monkey off her back today. She's been wanting this for a long time. Here she is with her fishing guide, JJ,and her Sockeye Salmon. I didn't go with her today since I had no burning desire. Maybe if I actually liked eating salmon it'd be different.

They boated down the Kenai river till they got to the secret spot and got out and spent the day fly fishing. She's never used a fly rod before, so that was an experience in itself. She's pretty tired right about now. Fortunately for me, JJ lives right down the street from the campground so I didn't have to drive her over to the boat ramp at 4:45 a.m. I feel fine. If she didn't have to beat off the bears, she probably wouldn't be so exhausted.


I'd mention all the eagles they saw today also, but she didn't get any pictures of them, and I don't want JSL asking for pics, so I won't mention the eagles. Or the black bear.

To top it all off, it's been raining for the past 24 hrs, so she was in her element. All in all, a wonderful day of fishing.

Our friends Jan and Larry from Atascadero are here in the campground tonight, so I get to grill salmon for dinner for us. We'll be pairing that with a Gloria Ferrer Pinot Noir from Carneros, in case you're wondering. I hope I don't burn the fish....

ds

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Very similar to burnt toast. No, just kidding. It was ever so slightly overcooked, but still I would have to say it was the best tasting salmon I've ever had. It was definitely not as strong as salmon usually is. And it's easy to see why they also call Sockeye by a second name (Red); it is a deep, rich red color. Everyone thought it was delicious.

      Delete
  2. I crossed another item off my Alaska bucket list. What an experience! So fun! I'm quite sore this morning from all the repetitious flip casting with a fly rod but so worth it. I'm stoked! And Dave did not burn the fish. It was excellent. Even he liked it and if you know Dave, he's not much of a fish person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Susie! That's awesome! I'm so glad you finally caught your salmon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey. One of my biggest moments.

      Delete