Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Soldotna

We were relaxing in the campground yesterday afternoon. It seemed like every day we were off running around doing something, and I felt a little down time was warranted. So we went to the St. Elias brewery for lunch and came back for a little nap. It felt nice doing nothing for a while. Especially since we're in the middle of a heat wave. Neither of us feels like hiking in this heat, but napping...that's another story.

Today we drove to the city of Kenai and beyond. If it weren't for the smoke we would have had some awesome views across the Cook Inlet to the Alaskan Range. There is a fire just down the road from us in Sterling; fortunately we are headed in the other direction on Thursday towards Homer. We're still debating if we're going halibut fishing or not. We'll make a decision when we have all the pertinent data.

I think that tall amber ale I had with lunch is sneaking up on me. I feel another nap coming on. Till next time.



ds

5 comments:

  1. That's a great picture of Susie. She looks so relaxed and happy. Must be loving this trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue says "You got that right!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homer recommendations:

    Two Sisters Bakery ****** A MUST stop
    Art Shop Gallery my favorite gallery
    Salty Dawg Saloon
    Alaska Islands and Ocean Visitors Center: interesting

    Did you happen to stop at Fred Meyer in Soldotna? It is a PARTY. You can find ANYTHING you need or don't need. I always stop just for the thrill of it all - being from small town Atascadero. :-)
    I've sure been thinking of you with all of the fires up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marsha! We did stop at Fred's yesterday. What a store. Oddly, they wouldn't accept Sue's Safeway rewards card.

      We'll be sure to check out your places in Homer as we plan to stay there a while.

      The fires have been with us ever since Canada really, but haven't adversely affected us much. We've been lucky.

      Delete
  4. Maybe I told you the wrong gallery...there are several good ones. I think the one I like is the Fireweed Gallery.

    ReplyDelete